Aloha, and welcome to Seattle Outrigger Canoe Club!
Seattle Outrigger Canoe Club is group of active men and women with a passion for water sports along with an interest in Hawaiian Culture. We paddle six-person outrigger canoes year-round, pushing ourselves and each other while having as much fun as possible. We love to share our passion with others, and invite anyone interested to read more about SOCC and outrigger paddling, and contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in giving paddling a try. We also welcome visiting paddlers from out of town.
In the Pacific Northwest, canoe paddlers have the opportunity to enjoy the surrounding of unique waterways like Lake Washington, the Gorge and Puget Sound. Teams in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia compete regularly during the spring and summer and gradually start traveling to meet California and Pacific Island competitors as the season progresses.
Paddling an outrigger canoe takes more than just muscle. It takes coordination and focus, six paddlers working as one. When bodies and minds come together and the 40 foot, 400 pound canoe glides forward seemingly effortlessly, the feeling is one that can’t be duplicated any other way.
Seattle Outrigger Canoe Club (SOCC) practices three times a week from April through October as daylight permits and twice a week throughout the winter.
Interested in knowing more?
We are always eager to introduce new people to the wonderful sport of outrigger paddling. Explore our web site, read about recent club activities, and see the Membership page, for details on practice days, times and locations. If you like what you see, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and come give outrigger paddling a try.
Recent media coverage:
- Written— This 2013 story about outrigger paddling in the Pacific Northwest features Seattle Outrigger.
- Da Grind–This short article and wonderful slideshow in the West Seattle Herald illustrate the 2011 race.
- Video–This 2010 Seattle Channel video about outrigger canoeing in the Pacific Northwest features local paddlers, with interviews and paddling footage from 3 Seattle-area clubs, including Seattle Outrigger.
- Written–A 2008 story in the Seattle Times Sunday Magazine focuses on the local outrigger paddling community including several SOCC paddlers.
2017 Board of Directors:
- President: Bill Bungartz
- Vice President: Richard Goodloe
- Treasurer: Kelly Mitchell
- Secretary: Charlie Abrahamson
- Women’s Coach: Sabine Jessel
- Men’s Coach: Matthew Taufa’asau
- Vera Hoang