(Note: Race start times are dependent on weather):
- 8:00 am: Registration and boat preparation
- 9:00 am: Steerspersons’ meeting
- 9:30 am: Women’s & Mixed OC6 Race Start
- 12:00 pm (approx.): Men’s & Mixed OC6 Race Start (1/2 hour after the finish of Women’s/Mixed Race)
- Note: Some Mixed crews may paddle with the Men, depending on canoe availability.
- 2:00 pm (approx.): short course Juniors & Novice OC6 and OC-1, OC-2 start
- 3:30 pm (approx.): Awards
Please pay with check or cash at race check-in. Make checks payable to “SOCC”.
Adult registration fee: $40 per paddler per craft/crew Junior (under 18 years) registration fee: $20 per paddler per craft/crew
*Fees include Da Grind shirt and insurance fee.
Boat Launching & Parking
The easiest place to launch is Dan Armeni Boat Ramp, 1222 Harbor Ave. SW. Trailer parking is available for $12.00 for the day. If you choose to launch here, you will need to rig your canoe and paddle approximately 1.3 miles west to the beach. You should have someone register at 8:00AM, with your canoe at the beach by 9:00AM for the steerspersons’ meeting. This is an active boat ramp, so please be aware of other boats launching.
You may also choose to launch along the beach near 2600 Alki Ave. SW. In the morning, you should be able to pull the trailer along the beach and unload. Unfortunately, you cannot park your trailer on Alki Ave. SW. You may find parking near Alki Playground on 38th or 39th Ave. SW at SW Stevens, but it is first-come-first-served. You may find it difficult to load your canoes back on the trailer in the afternoon since traffic on Alki Ave. SW can be very heavy in the middle of the day. Car parking can be found along Alki Ave.
The beach is a public facility and foot/car traffic will be heavy. Please be respectful of all beach patrons and represent outrigger paddling in a positive way.
Registration and the Start/Finish line will be on the beach at Alki – look for the SOCC tent.
The long course
Approximately 12 miles
The course will start off the beach.
Canoes will paddle west, toward
Alki Point, and then across Puget Sound toward Blake Island. The course circles Blake Island clockwise, going around the south end, then north along the west side, circling back around the north end of the island and heading back to Alki Beach.
The short course
Approximately 4 Miles
The course will start, heading northeast towards Duwamish Head. Near a permanent marker, about one hundred feet from the shore, there is a turn buoy. Make the turn counterclockwise and head southwest toward Alki Point Lighthouse and a turn buoy near the point. Make a counter-clockwise turn around the buoy and head back to the start/finish line off Alki Beach.
Please be extra-careful close to shore, watching out for swimmers and wildlife. The course will veer away from the known seal area but it is the responsibility of all waʻa to navigate away from seals, swimmers, ferries, and tugboats.
- Each team must provide:
- A US Coast Guard approved flotation devices (PFD) for each paddler in the canoe and a whistle.
- Spray skirt which may be required, depending on weather conditions on race day.
- Water temperatures should be in the low to mid 50’s. Crews must be familiar with huli recovery techniques.
- Boat traffic is expected to be moderate, with occasional wakes and cross-chop. Shipping traffic may cross the course, heading north or south on Puget Sound. Steerspersons should be alert at all times. Be particularly aware of ferry and ship traffic, including tugboats. Ferry and ship wakes can be large and fast moving. Tugboats may be towing barges or logs that are not visible. Do not attempt to cross in front of ferries or ships or immediately behind tugboats.
- All SUP, OC1, OC2 and Surfski paddlers must wear a leash and have a PFD on board. NO EXCEPTIONS. Anyone without a leash and PFD will not be allowed to race.
- The weather can be quite warm on the beach, so teams are encouraged to bring tents for sun protection.
- There are many food establishments on Alki Ave. SW. Paddlers may also potluck.
- There is no alcohol allowed on the beach.
- Dogs are not allowed on the beach.
Pre-registration & contact information:
(Note: To get your own directions type “Alki beach park” in Google Maps)
- Follow signs for W Seattle Bridge (Exit 163)
- Take exit for Harbor Ave SW (not Harbor Island exit) 2.4 mi
- Turn right onto Harbor Ave SW 0.3 mi
- Continue onto Alki Ave SW (Harbor Ave turns into Alki Ave) 1.8 mi
- Registration will be on the beach on the right (look for the SOCC tent)
2016 Da Grind – Cancelled